John Stuart suggested the idea of intertextuality, describing it as "incorporating, raiding and reconstruction." Music videos use something with which the audience may be already familiar with to generate both nostalgic associations and new meanings. Intertextuality is perhaps more explicitly evident in music videos than any other media form, with the possible exception of advertising.
Goodwin's theory also mentions intertextuality, stating that intertextual references add to the post modernism of music videos.
Examples of videos that parody other media include Madonna's
Material Girl and Iggy Azalea's
Fancy as they borrow ideas from iconic films.
 |
| Gentlemen Prefer Blondes |
 |
| Madonna - Material Girl |
 |
Clueless
|
 |
| Iggy Azalea - Fancy |
While these videos reference films, there are many that mirror other music videos. An example of this would be Shania Twain's Man! I Feel Like A Woman as it follows the style of Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love.
 |
| Robert Palmer - Addicted to Love |
 |
| Shania Twain - Man! I Feel Like A Woman |
I will not be using intertextuality in my music video as it is not typical of my chosen genre.
No comments:
Post a Comment